Programme details AND PLANNING for the online congress (IN ‘VIRTUAL HELSINKI’)
SIEF 2021 will be an online-only congress, meaning that all the proposed panels, roundtables and workshops will take place virtually. The Scientific Committee felt that the continuing uncertainties brought on by the world-wide pandemic made hosting an on-site event unfeasible for the following reasons: constant changes in travel restrictions; health and safety issues on the premises; differences in COVID-19 spread and the management of public health policies within different countries; care responsibilities at home (especially for contributors and delegates supporting elderly relatives with increased risk factors, and/or underlying health conditions); financial insecurities (including travel and other insurance policies becoming void with force majeure clauses) etc.
In total, the online programme will include 116 panels and workshops, a digital poster stream, several keynote speakers, innovative (rule breaking?) events, and a unique, Arctic-themed ‘virtual Helsinki’ music portfolio.
Timeline of key dates
- 23 October – 26 November 2020: Open call for papers, presentations in alternative formats and posters
- 26 November 2020: Deadline for submitting paper/presentation proposals for all the conference panels and workshops
- 14 December 2020: Papers marked up
- 21 December 2020 – 18 January 2021: Transfer process
- 1 February – 8 March 2021: Early Bird registration
- 21–24 June 2021: SIEF2021 Congress (Online): Breaking the Rules? Power, Participation, Transgression.
Further information / web links
LinkedIn announcement about the call for papers (deadline: 26/11/2020): https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/breaking-rules-power-participation-transgression-dixon-ph-d-
General information about the overarching SIEF2021 Congress theme: “Breaking the Rules? Power, Participation, Transgression: https://www.siefhome.org/congresses/sief2021/theme